Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Recipe: Apple Crumble

I made this the other day, and let me tell you, it was deeeee-lish! Very stupidly of me, I didn't take a picture of the finished piece before we all started tucking in but I took one when there was just a little left. I must say, it looked pretty similar to the photograph on the BBC website, so I have included that too for ya.

Apple crumble
BBC picture

My picture

I have never done any recipe or even food posts on here so I thought I would give it a try to see what you think. 

INGREDIENTS
For the crumble/topping:
- 300g/ 10 1|2 oz plain flour 
- pinch of salt
- 175g/6 oz unrefined brown sugar
- 200g/7 oz unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
- knob of butter for greasing

For the filling:
- 450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm pieces
- 50g/2 oz unrefined brown sugar 
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon

Right now, I would just like to point out that I used caster sugar instead of brown sugar. It makes no obvious difference.
Also, if I were to make this again, I would add more apple to the filling and less sugar to the crumble. I used two large cooking apples, but next time I would go for 2 1|2 or 3. Then I would possibly go for around 150g sugar because the topping was extremely sweet. I didn't mind too much because I have a terrible sweet tooth, but most people would probably find it a bit sickening.

Preparation:
1) Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4
2) Sieve the flour into a large bowl and mix in the sugar. 
3) Taking a few cubes of butter at a time, rub it in to the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until your mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4) Butter an ovenproof dish. I used a large glass casserole dish.
5) Spoon the mixture in to the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly on top.
6) Bake in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes until the crumble has browned and the fruit mixture is bubbling slightly.
7) Serve with cream, custard, ice cream, or on its own.

I will definitely be making this again sometime because it was very yummy and simple to make. I am 100% sure that anyone could bake this well, no matter what their cooking abilities are. As I said, take in to account what I said about changing the recipe slightly if you want. The recipe is originally from the BBC website - click here to view it.

I hope you enjoyed this kind of post. Let me know if you would like any more recipes and food related things because I am more than happy to do them! Any excuse to get baking... 

5 comments

  1. I totally love apple crumble and that looks delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMMMM i love apple crumble great post!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this! I've saved it to my favorites until I have time to try it out! :)

    http://sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will follow your blog....

    Mery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know I've awarded you a Liebster Beauty Award :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP