Sunday, 16 September 2012

Why Do You Wear Makeup?

Follow my new twitter account, @hollylikes2blog for beauty and blog updates!

Seen quite a few bloggers and youtubers doing this tag recently so I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon (god, I hate that expression so much but is there really a better way to put it?) and do it to. 

Every time I look at this picture (not that that is all too often, I only took it this morning) I assume I have airbrushed it but noooo, that is the wonders of Revlon Colourstay.

I started to experiment with makeup around the end of primary 6/start of primary 7, so I was probably about about 11 (ish). Now that is pretty young but I had mild acne even back then and I have always been really self conscious about it. It used to be concentrated on my forehead but my fringe covered it so I wasn't too bothered.

I do remember one particular makeup disaster from primary 7. I must have been about age 10/11 and I had not long bought my very first face powder. It was by Miss Sporty and was in the shade Medium (is it sad that I remember that?). If I remember correctly, it was winter time so my face was pale and as you can imagine, a medium-shade powder was a little bit too dark for me. Winter mornings in Scotland are very dark and dull so the lighting for me to applying this powder was anything but perfect. I used the little sponge applicator that came with it and literally packed it on to my face. I thought I looked pretty good and off I trotted to school with my gorgeous (uhhhh) made-up face. No one said anything to me but I did get the odd strange look from the passing teacher. I remember going to the bathroom during the day and looking in the mirror and thinking, "Ohhhhhh dear." I tried my very best to scrub the colour off with a tissue but I am pretty sure I still spent the rest of the day looking like an oompa loompa. 

I also used an ice blue eyeliner every day on my waterline for a couple of months in primary 7 but because I wasn't always using mascara, it turned my eyelashes pale blue as well. NOT a good look. 

By the end of primary 7 (I would have been 11 and a half) I had started to wear a little bit of mascara every day. During the summer holidays of that year, I bought my very first foundation at a makeup party. My friend up in Glasgow had the party for her birthday and a beauty rep from Mary Kay or something like that came to her house and did all of her makeup and gave us some tips. By that time, I had started to venture out in to some eyeshadow as well so I wasn't totally new to makeup but I was still an amateur. From that beauty rep, I bought my very first foundation and she did a demo on how to apply it evenly. That was the start of my obsession in to beauty. (So it's her fault I am like this!)

So, as I turned 12 and then 13, I was beginning to wear foundation and mascara and occasionally some eyeliner and eyeshadow. Now, at almost 15, I wear just about a full face of makeup every day.

I wouldn't dream about going out without any makeup on. Even if I am not going to be leaving the house, I put my 'face' on because I am just too self-conscious without it. I have really bad self esteem and I think I look hideous without any makeup on. I have acne scarring on my cheeks and some mild acne at the sides of my forehead and the odd spot elsewhere. I have really bad dark circles no matter how much sleep I get and my skin just looks dull and lifeless and has some hyper-pigmentation on the sides of my nose and a tad on my chin. 

Putting on makeup just seems to give me the confidence to get out of bed in the morning and I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I know that a lot of people think it is ridiculous that I can't go out without a scrap on but I feel more like 'me' with it on! 

Maybe as I get older I will feel more confident in my own skin and the acne will probably clear up but for now, I rely on my makeup to get me through the day.


4 comments

  1. i to had a very orange powder from miss sporty! ooh the memories! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tag! I'm the same with my skin aha! (: xx

    http://mollybenton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and you look fabulous.

    I am like you I could not leave the house without make up I just would not feel right. I wear full make up every day too I just think for me it makes me feel beter.

    What annoys me though is people who assume beause you wear full make up every day that somehow you want attentionand that you think highly of yourself...load of rubbish.
    Do they ever stop to consider some girls just feel terrible without make up...I know I do!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh dear; miss sporty flash backs! haha x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP