Thursday, 10 July 2014

Book Haul

Books have a very special place in my heart and although I do love my Kindle, it isn't the same as reading a good old paperback. I treated myself to a couple of new ones, partly because I wanted to read them and partly to pick two books to do my Advanced Higher English dissertation on. I am thinking of doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Secret Life of Bees because they both fall under the categories of racism and coming of age so they will probably be quite good to do.

I actually read To Kill A Mockingbird a year or two ago and I really enjoyed it so I bought my own copy to read the story again. It's a classic and it really is one of those books that everyone should read at some point in their life. So is The Catcher In The Rye, another possibility for my English dissertation. It is a coming of age novel so I could swap one of the other books for this if I prefer it. I'm only about 60 pages into it so far but I already really like it. The Secret Life of Bees sounds really interesting. It's about a young girl called Lily who thinks she shot and killed her mother when she was four. She befriends the black servant, Rosaleen, who is arrested and beaten one afternoon so Lily fights back. Then she meets three bee-keeping sisters who take her in and she learns the truth about her mother, whatever that truth is. I'm really looking forward to reading this as it isn't something I usually go for. I tend to pick up the easy-reads that have a soppy love story and maybe a little love triangle, there's a dramatic twist and then it is happily every after so it will be good to have a change.

Anf then finally, I chose Severed Heads, Broken Hearts (known as The Beginning of Everything in the US) which is about popular-boy Ezra who is involved in an accident and dropped from his social group. There's a love story in there (of course) but it sounds pretty amazing. Plus Ingrid from missglamorazzi instagrammed a picture of it a while ago saying she loved it. Need I say more?

Any book recommendations for me?

2 comments

  1. I love the catcher in the rye and i also enjoyed severed heads. I hope you enjoy them :)
    http://emmehurr.blogspot.co.uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished severed heads, it was so good! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP