Thursday, 17 July 2014

Bookworm #3: Paper Towns by John Green

After reading the phenomenon that is The Fault in Our Stars (all hail John Green), I was quick to buy another one of his novels. I chose Paper Towns because I thought it sounded different and interesting and not something I would usually read. I'm not usually a fan of books narrated by boys and much prefer a female main character. Maybe I am just a feminist at heart. 

Quentin has always loved Margo Roth Spiegelman, for Margo (and her adventures) are the stuff of legend at their high school. So when she one day climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow.
But the next day Margo doesn't come to school and a week later she is still missing. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance . . . and they are for him. But as he gets deeper into the mystery - culminating in another awesome road trip across America - he becomes less sure of who and what he is looking for.

I have to admit, I found this book a lot more difficult to get into than TFIOS. It has a sort of slow start, and for that reason it took me two tries to actually read this book. Once I started again from the beginning for the second time, I decided to stick it out and see where it goes and the storyline did pick up considerably. It got more exciting and became one of those books that you don't want to put down. It made me late for work a few times more than it should have. Despite my distate of male narrators, I found Q a very relateable character that had me cringing and laughing along with him. That is something that every write aspires to achieve with his readers so hats off to Mr Green once again.

'Paper Towns' follows Q with his quest to find the missing Margo who he is pretty much obsessed with, but in a nice, cute way. I didn't care much for the character of Margo Roth Spiegelman though, she is sort of bitchy and annoying. Maybe it's a good thing the story isn't told from her point of view. That aside, I did get to really like this book and would highly recommend it to all TFIOS fans who have yet to branch out into Green's other novels. Another thing I didn't like about this book is it has kind of a disappointing ending. The whole story builds and builds up to this climax and then it just sort of ends there. If you've read it, don't ruin the ending in the comments in case someone is planning on reading it. Don't get me wrong, I do love the book, but I can think of better ways for it to end.

Despite the things that I don't love quite so much about this book, it is a really good read and I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of it. It doesn't quite live up to The Fault in Our Stars though... Does anything?

4 comments

  1. I've started this recently! Not my favourite John Green book but it's good so far :)


    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think this could be my favourite book by John Green, but it's got tough competition from Looking For Alaska!x

    Charlotte / coloursandcarousels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's good but not his best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read it, it's next on my list though! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP