Thursday, 21 August 2014

Book Haulin'

I have a serious obsession with buying books, despite the growing 'reading pile' on my bedside table of books that have been started or I still have to read. I bought these books even though I have two that I still haven't read for my advanced higher English class, although I am slowly getting there. I think I might need to ban myself from buying any more or I'll never get through them all.

I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb
I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I bought it off a local 'buy, sell, swap' Facebook group for only £1! All I had to do was walk over to the woman's house and pick it up. It's currently selling for about £18 on Amazon so that was a true bargain that I couldn't pass up. This girl, Malala, is the one that stood up for education for girls and was shot by the Taliban, but she survived to tell the tale. What an inspiration.

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen - Dylan Sheldon
I'm not entirely sure what this book is about of if it is going to be my cup of tea, but I had a voucher for WH Smith that couldn't be used online and the nearest store has a bit of a poor selection so I just went with this and the next book I am going to show you. Here's the Amazon link if you want to read the full description, but it is basically about a social outcast who competes with the popular girl for the main role in the school play. Doesn't really sound like it will be much more than an easy read for when I run out of other things but you never know.

The Truth About My Success - Dylan Sheldon
Like I said, there wasn't really much to choose from but I didn't want to waste the voucher. This one sounds pretty cheesy and unrealistic - it is about a famous 16 year old TV star who is a bit of a brat and has a really bad image so she is sent away to a sort of bootcamp in the middle of nowhere and replace with a lookalike who lives with her depressed dad, struggling to get by with very little money. It is inevitable that Paloma (the spoiled bitch) discovers what's going on and returns for revenge. Again, I don't think it is going to end up as my favourite book but it will do.

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer
Now this is more like it. I am 60 pages into this and it is turning out to be such an interesting read! It is described as 'an extraordinary portrait of one man's descent into mental illness.' My absolute favourite quote from it is 'I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you are going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.' (Don't worry, that wasn't a spoiler - it tells you on the back of the book). It is really uniquely written from the eyes of Simon's brother, Matt. I haven't even finished this and I am already prepared to recommend it to everyone.

When God Was a Rabbit - Sarah Winmen
Another book that I am very excited to read. This is next on my list after The Shock of the Fall and my English books. It is also unique in the way that it is written as it follows Elly through her whole life, from childhood to being a woman, all from her perspective. According to the synopsis, Elly and her brother Joe are very close until 'a single, earth-shattering event threatens to destroy their bond forever.' Ooooh, the suspension. This book spans four decades, moving between Essex, Cornwall and the streets of New York. Apparently, it's 'a story about love in all its forms.' Sounds like my kind of book.

I'll update you when I have read each of these books with what I think about them. I already know I'll be doing a Bookworm post on The Shock of the Fall and When God Was a Rabbit, and maybe the other ones depending on what I think of them.

If you see me buying any more books, give me a slap on the wrist.

x

2 comments

  1. I love both the shock of the fall and when god was a rabbit :) I hope you enjoy both xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I will, but it's good to hear that from someone who has read them! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP