Wednesday, 6 August 2014

The Future

The future. The one thing that, despite many claims, you simply cannot predict. I've been thinking a lot about it recently, where I'll be in a years time, two years time, ten years time. I'm just about to start 6th year, my last year at high school, meaning many important decisions are coming my way. In just a few short months I will be applying for university courses which, to be honest, scares the bejeezus out of me. I don't know how I want to spend the rest of my life and I don't feel old enough and wise enough to be making that decision. This time next year, providing I get accepted into uni, I will be preparing to move out from the family home and enter the world on my own. I really need to learn how to use a washing machine then, huh. 

SQA exam results were published yesterday and I pleased to say that I achieved four A's and a B in my highers. I am surprised but proud of myself, even though I know that I probably could have tried harder. The higher maths exam was so difficult this year so I am shocked that I passed, never mind got a B. My A's are for English, Modern Studies, Chemistry and Graphics. A nice range of subjects that will hopefully allow me to pick from a variety of courses. My results will also help me have more to choose from because I am well over the entry requirements for a lot of them so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's the choosing of the course that I am struggling with. I have been humming and hawing over doing some sort of journalism course because I love to write but I also have to think of how likely it is that I will get a job at the end of it. I'm pretty sure that kind of job is hard to come by and will be extremely competitive. That's why I have also been considering a degree in Social Sciences, because that sort of thing really interests me. Social Sciences focuses on many topics like psychology, sociology, criminology and other ologies that I don't even understand. Then, if I still want to do journalism after that I could do a post graduate. Then I have another idea about possibly going in to primary teaching. I could either do a full degree in primary teaching or get another degree first, say in Social Sciences, and then do a post grad in primary teaching. Ahhhh, so many decisions and options it makes my brain hurt.

All I ask of you is to give me some advice. How did you pick your uni course and narrow it down? Are you studying or have studied any of the things that I have mentioned or something similar? I need assistance and some reassurance that life will get easier. 

4 comments

  1. Well done on your exam results, Holly! That's great.

    As for university, choose what you ENJOY. Three years is a long time to be studying something that you don't enjoy. I haven't studied any of those courses you mentioned but for me, I ended up picking the subject that I liked the most at that time.Journalism is such a tough industry but I'm sure there are other jobs you can go into with it even if you don't actually go into journalism eventually. I know plenty of people who go into jobs unrelated to their degrees. Ultimately, you want to spend your young years enjoying yourself, the last thing you want to do is feel down because you're struggling to study something that you have no interest in.

    I won't ramble on any longer but you're more than welcome to drop me an email if you want to chat about it all including the university experience. Always happy to help :)

    http://IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm really pleased with them.


    Thanks for all the great advice, I will definitely take everything you said into consideration when it comes to applying for university. I like what you said about picking something I am interested in rather than something I think I will definitely be able to get a job at the end of. I don't want to regret my course choice so something that I enjoy is definitely a safer bet.


    I'll drop you an email sometime if I think of any questions. Thanks for the offer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should defiantly make sure you chose to study something you enjoy, having a degree in anything opens you up too so many opportunities even ones totally unrelated to the degree you have. Congratulations on your results that's amazing and good luck with 6th year, I'm going into 4th year now starting the new exams so I'm super nervous. Hope you figure out what you want to do and enjoy your last year! Love your blog so much by the way. ♥
    www.pagesbymolly.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Good luck on your exams when the time comes, it's not as bad as you think so don't stress haha! Although I did the old exams so I can't say much about the new ones. I'm glad you like my blog, it's always good to hear that I'm not rambling away about stuff no cares about!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP