Saturday, 13 September 2014

The Reading List


I've been acquiring so many books recently that I can't keep up. They are coming in quicker than I can read them and as sad as this sounds, it's actually stressing me out. I need some sort of order back into my life and so I've made a list of what books I am going to read when. Then I no longer have the stress of thinking what book to read next. Oh I know, I have such a stressful life. I probably won't even stick to this because I'll see what's next on the list and decide I want to read something else first but just thinking about making it is calming me already.


First up is Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson. I bought this book recently with some WHSmith vouchers that I received at my school's annual prize giving that have to be used on 'educational supplies'. There was a book I was dead set on buying (be patient and you will see that in a minute) and then noticed that on the same stand was this, and both books had a sticker saying 'buy 1 get 1 for £1.99'. Bargain or what! So this is the one I got for £1.99 and I am in love with it so far. It is so different to what I usually read (I like sappy teen novels) as it is about a women who wakes up every day having forgotten her whole life, even what happened the day before. She begins to keep a journal that her doctor phones her every day to tell her about which helps her to discover that the people around her have been lying and taking advantage of her condition. I've not quite got to the inevitable plot twist yet but I have kind of guessed what it is, so I won't spoil it for you.

I also need to read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee because I am studying it for my advanced higher English dissertation and I probably should have finished it weeks ago. I really like this book and again, it isn't my usual kind of story. Different can be good though, and I have been wanting to read more classic books recently. Along with this (as you do your dissertation on two novels with a similar theme) I am thinking of doing The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd so I really need to get round to reading that too to see if I like it.


Then there is We Were Liars by E. Lockhart which my friend Emma lent me to read and luckily it is a slightly shorter book than the rest in my ever-growing pile. It seems to have gotten quite popular recently with a lot of good reviews so I have high hopes for it.

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer and When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winmen are both books that I purchased on ebay used, but they are in such good condition, especially the Shock of the Fall. I saved a few pounds than what I would have spent on another website for something that only has very slight marks on the cover which doesn't really bother me. In fact, I actually kind of like it when a book looks all worn and well read.


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is another book which has come to the forefront recently and I have heard a lot of people talking about. This is the book I mentioned earlier that was part of the deal in WHSmith and got me Before I Go to Sleep for £1.99. The cover on Amazon is a black version of the one I have so I am wondering if I maybe have the old cover or something? I have also seen some pictures on Instagram of this book and they are also black. This book is about a man called Nick who's wife disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary. Everyone seems to blame him for her disappearance and evidence is found that he claims he did not do and the whole book is about discovering what really happened to her. I love how the camera picked up how luminous the cover really is.


Whilst I was in WHSmith, I also purchased Out of Tune by Beth Reekles and Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. I've never heard of either of these books before but I had vouchers to spend so I though I might as well use them while I was in Glasgow because my nearest store has a really poor selection of decent books. I have read The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles which I did enjoy so I am hoping that this follows in its footsteps.

And finally, I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb. This is the inspiring story of a teenage girl called Malala who stood up for education for girls and got shot in the head by the Taliban. Thankfully, she lived to tell the tale and now lives happily and healthily in Birmingham with the help of Christina Lamb. This hardback book was a true bargain at £1 on a Facebook group that is set up for my town where people can post things they want to sell and you can go pick them up. Basically like a local ebay.

As you can tell, I am going to be seriously busy in the next few weeks. Or should I say months.


No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP