Thursday, 2 October 2014

Book Review: We Were Liars

My friend Emma gave me this book to borrow recently after having read it herself and loving it. I think I'm the third person in my friend group to have this book passed on to, and then it's going to someone after me! I made sure to take some photos before passing it on yesterday. 

This book is a strange one for me. Although I did really really enjoy it, I found it difficult to relate to the main character which is kind of crucial when reading a book. That's what makes it so unusual, I loved the book but didn't like the main character. I didn't think that was possible. I did begin to tolerate her a bit more as the story unfolded, but at the start I just thought she was a bit pretentious and stuck up, talking about 'mummy' and all the money they have and how highly thought of the Sinclair family is. Hmm. 

The storyline itself is fantastic. It took me a while to get to know who everyone was and remember who was the cousins and who was the siblings because there are quite a lot of characters. Once I knew, everything made a bit more sense. One thing that did really help was the family tree at the start of the book which helps you to remember who's who because you can flick back and check, and also the map of the island they own (yeah, I know) which reminds you who lives in what house. And by God, the plot twist. You won't see it coming. You have to read it for yourself to truly understand. Let's leave it at that.

I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads (add me as a friend here). It would have had 5 if Cadence was a nicer person but hey ho.


No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP