Monday, 6 October 2014

Just Write.
















It's no secret on this blog that I am a massive fan of procrastination. When I find things too difficult, I simply punt the task off for another day and ignore the nagging feeling in my head. I tell myself it is nothing to worry about because I'll do it tomorrow. The truth is, I won't do it tomorrow. Being in my last year of high school and preparing to head off to university next September (hopefully), I kind of need to get this problem of mine sorted. I love to write, that's why I have a blog, but sometimes it's just hard to get round to doing the things you don't want to do. I'd rather write a blog post than do that essay for school. It's a simple fact of life. 

When you are stuck, just write anyway.

Essays are often put to the back of my mind because I dismiss them as being too difficult a task to wrap my head around at that moment in time. I find any excuse I can - I need to paint my nails because they are so chipped, I need to reply to this email, I need to read the next chapter of this book. Sometimes, it's easier to just start the essay, or whatever task it is that needs completed, because it's much easier to come back to a couple of hundred words of utter garbage that you can re-jig and pad out until you have a decent enough essay to hand in than returning the night before the deadline with a blank Word document on the screen in front of you. 

Ramble to your heart's content. Write whatever comes to your mind, it will turn out better than you expect.

This applies to blog posts too. Sometimes I have no inspiration for what to write next because I feel like I am just droning on with the unoriginal posts. I need a bit more spice in my blog. I want posts that are a little more thought out and not so typical and common. The best blog posts sometimes come when you have the tiniest idea in your head and you just put finger to keypad and start to write. I didn't even know where I was going with this blog post when I started it and look how much I churned out without even consciously meaning it. Begin with an inkling and let it carry itself along. Because sometimes, you have to just write.


2 comments

  1. I tend to get writer's block a lot or just overthink every single word until my page just remains blank so I just love "ramble to your heart's content"and your tips here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I! I love that too, I remind myself of it when I am writing a new blog post and the words come easily!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP