Monday, 24 November 2014

Book Review: Conspiracy Girl by Sarah Alderson


You may have read my review of Sarah Alderson's Hunting Lila and if you did, you will remember how much I raved about her written work. Well, to my utmost delight, she has a new book release on the 12th of February 2015 and I had the pleasure of reading it early. Enter Conspiracy Girl*.

"Everybody knows about the Cooper killings. There was only one survivor - fifteen year old Nic Preston. Now eighteen, Nic is trying hard to rebuild her life. But then one night her high-security apartment is broken into. It seems the killers are back to finish the job. Finn Carter - hacker, rule breaker, player - is the last person Nic ever wants to see again. He's the reason her mother's murderers walked free. But as the people hunting her close in, Nic has to accept that the best chance of staying alive is by staying close to Finn. And the closer they get to the truth, and to each other, the greater the danger becomes."

I am going to start of by saying that nothing comes close to the story of Lila and my expectations were right when this didn't quite beat it. That's not to say I didn't adore the story, however, because I absolutely did. Sarah Alderson has a way of writing that really appeals to me, and her stories are always full of drama and excitement that keep you turning the pages for hours on end. I finished this book in 2 days because I really struggled to pry myself away from the screen of my kindle. 

Just like Hunting Lila, the story of Nic is not one that happens to the average person but I actually don't mind that. In fact, I love it. Sometimes it's fun to drift away from the usual boy-meets-girl soppy YA novel and inject a bit of thrill into your reading. There are twists and turns that you don't expect, although it is pretty inevitable that the two main characters are going to end up with each other - sorry if you see that as a spoiler, although it is pretty damn obvious when you are reading it. I also liked that added character of the dog, Goz, which I never thought I would say. I thought it was cute.

Another thing which I have to mention because it is something that I love in a book, and it is that you are told the story from the viewpoint of both Nic and Finn. I love when an author alternates narrators, and you get a real feel for the story when they do so. It really helps me to connect with the two main characters, because you get to see things from their point of view as well, and see what both characters are thinking when something happens. It's like, one character could say something and mean it one way, but the other character takes it a different way and you get to see the thought process behind each person and what they say. You don't get that opportunity when there is just one main speaker, so I was really happy to see that this book was set out this way whereas the Lila series is not.

Well done, Sarah. You won me over once again.


*This book was provided by Netgalley for review purposes.

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP