Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Book Review: Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson


I first read this book quite a while ago so I can't believe I have never mentioned it before now. I have read a lot of books in my lifetime (what a geek) so it takes a lot for me to be able to say that one has reached my top 5. This is right up there, possibly even sitting at the top spot.

Finding Lila is one of those books that you could read over and over and never get bored of the story. You know exactly what happens to the main character, and all the minor characters as well, but you are still silently rooting for them and waiting for your favourite part. Each time you read the book, you love it even more than the last time. 

This book encompasses everything I love about YA novels. There's the romance, the protective older brother, the relateable narrator and the twisting and turning plot that makes it all so exciting. Here is the official synopsis: 17 year old Lila has two secrets she plans to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things by just looking at them. The second is that she has been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. After a mugging exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years ago. And that they've found them. In a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers - and her mother's killer is one of them...

Yes, I understand that a story about a girl with mysterious secret powers sounds corny and totally not believable, but the true genius that is Sarah Alderson has written a novel that somehow makes it all seem like it could be real. You feel like that you right there with Lila, Alex and Jack and that these 'psys' as they are called could be real. It takes real talent to make characters with special abilities relateable to the reader, by Sarah does this effortlessly. 

I am sure you can tell how much I adore this book by my ramblings so far, so just imagine my joy when I discovered this had a sequel. And I love the sequel just as much. Cue more Alex-related swooning.

I gave this book 5/5 stars on Goodreads. Add me as a friend here for more updates on what I have been reading!

2 comments

  1. sounds cool, I like YA writers sometimes, they aren't afraid to get supernatural. xx

    The Persephone Complex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP