Thursday, 15 January 2015

Book Review: The Maze Runner


"When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas remembers is his first name. But he's not alone - an army of boys welcomes him to the Glade, an encampment at the centre of a terrible maze. The Gladers have no idea why they're there, or what's happened to the world outside, and following the arrival of a girl with a message, they must find a way out - or die."

I've always felt like the first chapter of a book defines how you are going to feel about the rest of the story. That wasn't exactly the case when I read The Maze Runner by James Dashner last week, and I am happy to report that my theory was wrong. It is not often I like to admit that I am wrong, but I can't avoid it here.

As much as I did like the beginning of The Maze Runner, I thought it began a little slow. The Gladers (the boys who lived in the strange maze-surrounded place) used unfamiliar language because they had been living in a world on their own for so long which was a little confusing and, at times, incredibly frustrating. They would call something or someone a name, but you weren't really sure of what the connotations of that name was.

Although it did take me a little while to get into it, a few chapters in and I was hooked. I began reading it for hours on end and finished it within a couple of days - something that only happens when I am really enjoying a book. The characters were unique and very unlike the ones from other novels I have read before, a rare find in YA fiction. They were well thought-out with back stories and a personality of their own. Not only were the characters interesting, but the slightly Hunger Games-esque story line was gripping and exciting. I literally could not put the book down because I couldn't handle not knowing what happened on the next page, and the page after that, and the page after that. I loved the suspense that Dashner managed to create, especially when tension in the maze really started to amp up when the very first girl they had ever had arrived with a message.

I am so glad I bought the whole set. I would not be able to contain myself if I didn't have the next book in the series at hand. Have you read The Maze Runner? If you have read the whole series, is book 2 something for me to look forward to? I am going to be starting it soon, and I really hope it lives up to the level that was set by the first one! I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads - keep up to date with what I am reading by adding me as a friend here.

On a side note: I have also now watched the movie version which was based on this book and it too was very enjoyable and exciting! I recommend reading the book first though rather than the movie because there are slight changes. but nothing major. Plus, Stiles from Teen Wolf plays Thomas and I love him. There's another incentive for you to watch it, especially if you are a TW fan.

2 comments

  1. Oooh I've got this on my reading list! V glad to hear it's g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it, you'll love it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP