Thursday, 30 April 2015

Money Saving Tips For The Shopaholic

With university just around the corner, I need to learn how to make my money last longer and resist the urge to spend on unnecessary things. To help me in my quest, I have put together a list of Dos and Don'ts that I will be attempting to follow and thought it may help some of you out there who are struggling to stick to a budget. I am here for moral support if you need a shoulder to cry on after not buying that new lipstick.

If you are a student, apply for a discount card // Cards like NUS are available to get you discounts in all your favourite places to shop. Although there is a small fee to get it (£12, I believe), it will save you money in the long run. This means that you can still buy that outfit for your night out, but feel a little less guilty about it because you didn't pay full price. However, you still need to be careful. Don't just buy something because you think, 'hey, I get a discount so why not?'. You still need to be wise. Do you really need it? Are you only spending the money because you are getting it cheaper?

Shop your stash // Have a hunt at the back of your drawers for things you bought a while ago and forgot you even had. You might even end up liking it more than you thought you did! Better yet, if you are a blogger, you can even turn this into a great blog post. It's a win win situation.

Don't buy something new just because you are bored of the old one // I am incredibly guilty of this, and end up with a bottle upon bottle of half finished foundations. Similar to the last point, try to use things until they are actually finished before going out and buying a new one. There really is no need to buy a new blush every couple of weeks when they last aaaages.

Compare prices // Different retailers sell the same products for different prices so it is definitely worth shopping around. Even if you are only saving a couple of pound here and there, it all adds up and you can end up saving a fair bit of money that can be stashed away for emergencies (like when you have had a particularly bad week at work/school - definitely calls for a shopping trip).

Sign up for cashback websites // My favourite is topcashback.co.uk and I use it regularly when shopping online. Most retailers are available, although not all, helping you to get a little bit of money back each time you place an order. Like the last point, it may not be very much but again, it all adds up and you can save a good bit of money. The money is stored in your account and can be transferred into your bank account at any point. I like to leave it in my topcashback account so that I can see it adding up because then I can keep track of how much I am saving. You can even use it for money off your insurance or holidays.

Think before you buy // This is the most important fact that I have to drum in to you. Do you really need it? Would your life be so different without it? If the answer is no, put it back. You'd be surprised how often you actually manage to do it.

What are your top tips for saving money?

7 comments

  1. I am so guilty of being a shopaholic, I just can't control it sometimes, nothing beats that satisfaction you get from buying a new lipstick that clicks when you put the lid on.
    Shop your stash is probably my favourite way of saving money, I always find something that I didn't remember I had. Also getting advantage cards is really great if you just can't resist the temptation of buying things (me)

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I just love that click when you put the lid on a lipstick!
    Of course! How did I forget about advantage cards?! I love the ones that you find sometimes in coffee shops that can be stamped and then you get your 8th coffee free or something like that. It makes me feel better about spending money on coffee haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list here! I'm guilty of buying something because I'm bored of something too. It's just so tempting...

    Emily x
    wondersofafairytale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I know how you feel, it is so hard to drag yourself away sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so guilty of buying things cause I'm bored of everything else haha, I'm so bad at saving though. Great tips :D x
    www.jesskadenise.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These tips are awesome! I'm such a hoarder when it comes to clothes, even if I don't use it any more I'll keep it. PLUS I'm so guilty of buying things I don't need, so I really need to work on shopping my stash and thinking before I buy!

    Clara
    https://colormepurpple.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. really good tips, i'm definitely guilty of buying things i don't need!


    avecdanielle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP